Subscribe

A Grand Synergy

A Pleasant Bay home combines the best of nature with Polhemus Savery DaSilva’s architectural innovation, creating a showcase for the homeowners’ art and furniture collections—and a cherished retreat for their family.

There is nature’s art, and then there are human creations. Read more…

Spring 2014

Enjoy the perennial pleasure of spring flowers on Cape Cod wtih the Cape Cod HOME Spring 2014 issue…

April 2014

Seaside Spring April 2014 will warm your soul and give you a jumpstart on Spring and Summer beauty…

Turn, Turn, Turn

In honor of Sandwich's 375th celebration...

In honor of Sandwich’s 375th celebration, a year-long showcase of everything that is special about Cape Cod, we share a photo of the famous Dexter Grist Mill in the heart of Sandwich village. One of the oldest water mill sites in the country, the original mill first turned in 1640 when Thomas Dexter was given 26 acres for his business. Throughout the centuries, mills on the site have carded wool, turned out marble stone products, contributed to the town’s world famous glass industry, and for one brief spin from 1920 to 1950, served as a teahouse for tourists.

Dexter Grist Mill

The site became part of Sandwich’s historic district in the 1960s when it was restored and opened to the public. Reflected in a serene mill pond, this timeless treasure will be drawing people from near and far to the splendid town of Sandwich, long after the fireworks have faded and the last parade drum roll of 2014’s anniversary celebrations has been heard.

Readers’ Resources

Jack Cotton & Joan Witter

- Sotheby’s International Realty Read more…

Cuttyhunk

Fun facts about the town of Cuttyhunk…

Cuttyhunk
  • Cuttyhunk Island is not a town to itself, but a village in the town of Gosnold, which was incorporated in 1864.
  • Gosnold consists of all of the Elizabeth Islands—Cuttyhunk being the outermost—which stretch westward from Woods Hole and separate Vineyard Sound and Buzzards Bay.
  • Cuttyhunk is 1-1/2 miles long by three-fourths of a mile wide, totaling about 580 acres.
  • The island is 12 miles to the south of New Bedford, and eight miles west of Gay Head, Martha’s Vineyard.
  • On a clear day, visitors standing on Lookout Hill—the island’s highest point at 154 feet above sea level—can view New Bedford, Gay Head, and (occasionally) The Cape Cod Railroad Bridge, which spans the Cape Cod Canal.
  • During World War II, Lookout Hill was home to an active military bunker where soldiers kept watch for German U-boats. Today, the site is open to the public and features a picnic area and beautiful views of the island and ocean.
  • According to the U.S. Census, from 2000 to 2010 the island’s population grew 13 percent—from 52 residents to 56; including Cuttyhunk, Gosnold has just 75 residents making it the smallest town in the state.
  • As of 2010, Cuttyhunk had no residents aged 10 to 30, aged 40 to 44, or over the age of 85.
  • Cuttyhunk is the first site of English settlement in New England, as explorer Bartholomew Gosnold—for whom the town is named—and the crew of the Concord settled on the island briefly in 1602 before returning to England.
  • The island’s original name was ‘Poocuohhunkkunnah’, a term used by the Wampanoags which means “Point of departure” or “Land’s End.”
  • In 1691, the Elizabeth Islands were assigned to Dukes County, which also includes Martha’s Vineyard, Chappaquiddick, and No Man’s Land. The county gets its name from the Duke of York, who received the land from his brother, Charles II, the King of England.
  • Noted Quaker businessman and abolitionist Paul Cuffee was born on Cuttyhunk in 1759. Among his accomplishments, Cuffee helped colonize Sierra Leone, established the first racially integrated school in Westport, Massachusetts, and built a lucrative shipping empire.
  • Cuttyhunk Light was built in 1823, but only a stone oil house— lacking a door and roof—remains today. The lighthouse was repaired several times over the years, including in 1891, but following a powerful 1944 hurricane that damaged it heavily, the structure was town down.
  • In addition to its role in aviation, the term ‘pilot’ also once described mariners who guided ships through harbors. In the golden era of whaling, Cuttyhunk was home to many pilots, as the major industry of New Bedford—just across Buzzards Bay— was whaling.
  • In 1858, Otis Slocum sold the island to William Swift, Thomas Nye, and Eben Perry for $50.
  • Built in 1873, the Cuttyhunk schoolhouse remains the last one-room schoolhouse in Massachusetts; in December of 2013, two students were enrolled.
  • In August of 1992, the 963-foot Queen Elizabeth 2 badly damaged a section of its hull when it ran aground on a shoal about 2-1/2 miles south of Cuttyhunk; no one was injured in the crash, and most of the ship’s 1,815 passengers were ferried to Newport, Rhode Island.
  • Divided by the narrow Canapitsit Channel, Cuttyhunk is literally a stone’s throw from Nashawena Island.
  • Cuttyhunk is famous for its fishing and the preponderance of large striped bass in its surrounding waters. In 1913, a world record 73-pounder was reeled in off shore; another 73-pounder was caught in 1967.
  • Established in 1864, the Cuttyhunk Fishing Club featured a membership including powerful politicians and businessmen who loved fishing, including Presidents Theodore Roosevelt, William Howard Taft and Grover Cleveland.
  • When the club was founded, membership was limited—most members were millionaires—and no women were allowed.
  • President of the American Woolen Company of Andover, Massachusetts, William Madison Wood built the Avalon home in 1909 and the Winter House in 1917—the island’s two most prominent residences. In 1921, Wood purchased the Cuttyhunk Fishing Club.
  • In 1997, Oriel Wood Ponzecchi, purchased the Cuttyhunk Fishing Club and reopened it the following year as a cafe and bed and breakfast.
  • A seaplane service once brought visitors to and from Cuttyhunk; today, the island has two private airstrips.
  • In addition to water taxis, the Cuttyhunk Ferry Company provides regular service to and from New Bedford; generally, there is at least one ferry per day from May through September.
  • In addition to passengers, the ferry transports the island’s mail.
  • The Island Market—Cuttyhunk’s only store—is open during the summer from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., offering groceries, candy, deli meats and more.
  • In winter, the store is open for just 45 minutes (from 3:30 p.m. to 4:15 p.m.) per day, six days a week.
  • Soprano’s—the lone pizza establishment on the island—is run out of a private home, and owner Mark Buckley serves customers seated at picnic tables in his driveway.
  • Island visitors can purchase oysters, stuffed quahogs, and clam chowder from Cuttyhunk Shellfish Farms.
  • Residents Bruce and Carolyn Borges sell lobsters and seafood at the dock.
  • A longtime island tradition is the annual Fourth of July golf cart parade, which begins outside the Winter House.
  • On June 24, 2005, Cuttyhunk was the last stop on the Boston Red Sox’ World Series trophy tour.
  • As of December 2013, George Isabel was both the island’s police chief and harbormaster.
  • According to the website, cuttyhunk.net, “Cuttyhunk Island is a place to do a whole lot of nothing.”
Cuttyhunk

Nantucket

Fun facts about the town of Nantucket…

Nantucket
  • According to the 2010 U.S. Census, Nantucket’s year-round population is 10,172, representing nearly a 7 percent increase since 2000 (9,520). That amount soars in summer, though, reaching 50,000 to 60,000.
  • The island is 24.4 nautical miles from Martha’s Vineyard (at Edgartown Light) and about 30 miles from Hyannis.
  • Nantucket’s land area is 47.8 square miles, making the island comparable in size to Peru, a town in Maine.
  • Surfside, a region on the island’s southern coast, is the southernmost spot in the state of Massachusetts.
  • A large swath of undeveloped land in the island’s center is called the Middle Moors. With few trees and a resemblance to the African plains, the southern part of the moor is known as the Serengeti.
  • The Wampanoags were the first inhabitants of Nantucket; the first European settlers to live on the island arrived in 1659.
  • Nantucket was part of Dukes County, New York until 1691, when the island was ceded to the Massachusetts Bay Colony; today, Dukes County (Mass.) consists of Martha’s Vineyard and the Elizabeth Islands.
  • Nantucket woven baskets, a famous island craft and profession, were first made by English settlers who arrived on the island and needed the baskets for storage. The main materials used remain hickory, ash, and oak.
  • In 1795, the name of the town was changed from Sherburne to Town of Nantucket. Today, ‘Nantucket’ is used for the town, the island, and the county.
  • Maria Mitchell, America’s first woman astronomer, was born on Nantucket in 1818. Her home on Vestal Street is now a museum and contains Mitchell’s personal items including her telescope.
  • During the early- to mid-1800s, Nantucket was known as the whaling capital of the world: Ships built on the island during that era include the Charles Carroll, Joseph Starbuck, Lexington, and a 350-ton, oaken vessel, the Nantucket.
  • Herman Melville’s 1851 novel, Moby Dick, features a whaling vessel, the Pequod, that departs Nantucket in search of oil and riches. In addition to Ahab, Ishmael, and Queequeg, the crew features a first mate, Starbuck, who years later would serve as the inspiration behind the name of a famous coffee brand.
  • Rowland Hussey Macy, founder of the Macy’s Department store chain, was a Nantucket native and worked on the Emily Morgan whaling ship as a teen. During his whaling days, Macy had his forearm inked with a red star tattoo, a design he later used for his company’s logo.
  • In 1901, North America’s first wireless radio station was built in Siasconset, and it was operated by the New York Herald.
  • Located at the entrance to Nantucket Harbor, Brant Point Lighthouse is the second-oldest lighthouse in North America. The current structure is the ninth to be built on the location.
  • In 1918, Nantucket was the last community in the state to lift a ban on automobiles.
  • In 1966, the island’s historic district was named a National Historic Landmark; in 1975, the designation was expanded to include the entire island.
  • Per town regulations, Nantucket has no fast-food restaurants. Also, chain stores, exterior neon signs and vinyl siding are not allowed in the downtown area.
  • Nantucket features more than 30 miles of bike paths, many of which lead to or are connected to beaches.
  • Nantucket’s Historic District Commission has approved just 12 colors to beautify residents’ homes, including: White, Main Street yellow, Nantucket red, Newport blue, Quaker gray, Nantucket gray, and Essex green.
  • Most houses on the island have quarter boards on their exterior, with creative names such as Dreamweaver, Crosswinds, Thickly Settled, Whale Spray, and Bestimever.
  • To preserve it from an eroding cliff’s edge, the Sankaty Head Lighthouse in Siasconset was moved back about 400 feet in 2007.
  • Nantucket High School was founded in 1838; the Class of 2013 included 81 graduates.
  • In 2012, Nantucket High’s John Buckey was named Principal of the Year in Massachusetts.
  • Clad in navy blue and white, the NHS Whalers football team won state titles in 1980, 1995, 1996, and 2011.
  • Every December, a Christmas tree is displayed in a green rowboat, which is moored in Nantucket Harbor through the holiday season. Known as the Killen Family Christmas Dory, the boat has been a holiday tradition on the island since 1965.
  • The Figawi—an annual weekend of sailing races from Hyannis to Nantucket—is held May 24-26, 2014; past winners include Bob Luby and Red Rooster in 1972’s inaugural race, and Ron Cameron’s vessel, Moby Dick, captained by Stan Moore in 1973.
  • Nantucket held its 40th annual Nantucket Noel/Christmas Stroll in 2013. The festive, three-day event in December features holiday lights, music, a talking tree, and the arrival of Santa with an assist from the Coast Guard.
  • The Dreamland Theater on South Water Street has more than 100 years’ of history entertaining island residents. With the help of private donations and renovation work, a new facility was opened in the summer of 2012.
  • The Chicken Box restaurant on Davies Street no longer serves chicken. In business since 1947, the establishment focuses on music (and light snacks) today, and has hosted artists including Grace Potter, Little Feat, Rusted Root, and Galactic.
  • Founded in the 1980s, Nantucket Nectars features more than 17 flavors of juice including Watermelon-Strawberry, Peach-Orange, and Grapeade.
  • Cisco Brewers began making beer in 1995, and spirits two years later. Today, the company features a variety of brews, including Grey Lady Ale, Whale’s Tale Pale Ale, and Sankaty Light Lager.
  • Author Lisa Genova’s 2012 New York Times bestseller, Love Anthony, is set on Nantucket.
  • Starring Thomas Haden Church, Tim Daly, and Tony “Monk” Shalhoub, the NBC sitcom Wings, which aired from 1990 to 1997, was set on Nantucket.
  • Nantucket Memorial Airport—ACK—is the second-busiest airport in the state; for example, through October of 2013, the airport had 163,052 passengers, including an August high of 35,758.
Nantucket

Martha’s Vineyard

Fun facts about the town of Martha’s Vineyard…

Martha's Vineyard
  • The Wampanoag Indians, who originally inhabited the island, referred to Martha’s Vineyard as Noepe, or “land amid the streams.”
  • According to the 2010 U.S. Census, Martha’s Vineyard’s population is 16,535 year-round residents. During the summer, the population often swells to more than 100,000.
  • At approximately 90 square miles, the island is the 58th largest in the United States.
  • Martha’s Vineyard is about seven miles south of Falmouth, (at Edgartown Light), 24.4 nautical miles west of Nantucket, and 53 miles (at Oak Bluffs) to the east of Block Island, Rhode Island.
  • British explorer Bartholomew Gosnold discovered the island in 1602 and named it after his daughter, Martha—and the island’s dense vegetation.
  • Thomas Mayhew (1593-1682) purchased the island in 1641 and settled there with family within a few years. The island was considered part of New York until 1692, when it was ceded to Massachusetts. Mayhew was born in the town of Tisbury, England.
  • When Mayhew arrived, about 3,000 native Wampanoags were already living on the island.
  • On July 4, 1901, Memorial Park in Edgartown was dedicated to honor the 70 soldiers from Martha’s Vineyard who died during The Civil War (1861-1865).
  • A few years after completing the first solo circumnavigation of the Earth, explorer Joshua Slocum of West Tisbury sailed from the Vineyard in 1909 and was never seen again.
  • One fatality was recorded on the Vineyard during The Great New England Hurricane of 1938. Josephine Clarke, a Jamaican cook working for the Thielen family, drowned while attempting to escape rising waves imperiling the family’s summer home in Chilmark. Benedict Thielen attempted to rescue her, to no avail.
  • On September 14, 1944, another storm, The Great Atlantic Hurricane, devastated the Vineyard and several Cape towns. The storm caused $100 million in damage in the region and 390 people died, including 12 crew aboard the Vineyard Sound Lightship. Moored at the entrance of Vineyard Sound and Buzzards Bay, the vessel, which served as a lighthouse-on-a-ship and at the time was looking out for German submarines, succumbed to strong winds and waves, and sank.
  • An April 2007 storm breached the long, thin barrier beach that connected Martha’s Vineyard to Chappaquiddick Island. Today, the islands are separated by a channel.
  • Former “Saturday Night Live” actor and comedian John Belushi is buried in Abel’s Hill Cemetery in Chilmark. Belushi died on March 5, 1982.
  • JFK’s son, John F. Kennedy, Jr., his wife, Carolyn Bessette, and her sister, Lauren Bessette, were killed in a plane crash off the coast of the Vineyard in July of 1999.
  • Founded in 1981 at The Christ United Methodist Church, The Island Food Pantry has been helping needy locals for nearly 30 years; in 2012-2013 alone, the pantry aided 503 families, averaging 95 visits per week.
  • The Martha’s Vineyard Agricultural Society hosts its 153rd fair in August. The annual event features dog and livestock shows, a woodsmen competition, shucking and fiddle-playing contests, and a skillet toss.
  • The 32nd annual Christmas in Edgartown celebration was held in December 2013; festivities included a chowder contest, a live nativity, and many decorations.
  • Rabbit hunting season on the island is November 15 through February 28, while crows can be hunted through April 10.
  • Steven Spielberg filmed Jaws on the island in 1974. The film starred Richard Dreyfuss, Roy Scheider, and the legendary Robert Shaw as Captain Quint.
  • The Vineyard is the largest island on the East Coast that is not connected to a mainland by a bridge or tunnel.
  • The Oak Bluffs Monster Shark Tournament, hosted by the Boston Big Game Fishing Club, was the largest event of its kind in the United States from 2005 to 2008. In 2013, Captain Frank Greiner, Jr., aboard the Magellan, won first prize by reeling in two massive Porbeagles: a 429-pounder and a 313-pounder.
  • Sharky’s Cantina in Oak Bluffs and Edgartown offers food, t-shirts, and unique drinks like the Sharkarita, with tequila, triple sec, orange juice, and sour mix. Another specialty—The Obamarita—is a mandarin-pineapple mix.
  • In 2013, the Martha’s Vineyard Sharks baseball team finished in first place and won the league championship. The team plays in the 10-team Futures Collegiate Baseball League (FCBL), which was established in 2011.
  • The history of the Martha’s Vineyard Museum in Edgartown dates back to 1922, when it was founded as the Dukes County Historical Society; in 1996, that name was changed to the Martha’s Vineyard Historical Society, and in 2006, its current name was adopted.
  • Today, the museum is open to visitors year-round; it publishes a historical journal, The Dukes County Intelligencer; and it serves as steward of three of the Vineyard’s lighthouses.
  • The museum currently exhibits “Enchanted Isle: The Story of Martha’s Vineyard,” which tells the island’s history through photographs, books, paintings, and documents; beginning in February, a new exhibit examines ‘The Art of Advertising,’ and features political posters, signs, and souvenirs.
  • Captain Robert Douglas founded The Black Dog restaurant in Vineyard Haven in 1971, one year after Led Zeppelin released its fourth album, featuring the classic track, “Black Dog”; both are considered classics.
  • On The Black Dog’s menu in Vineyard Haven, patrons can order comfort foods such as an egg mcdog or rasputin’s revenge—pancakes served with chocolate chips and strawberries. The company has opened numerous restaurants on the Cape and Islands over the years and has also established a very successful retail brand.
  • Island restaurants with French names today include Détente Restaurant, l’etoile, and Soigne in Edgartown; Le Grenier, La Cave du Grenier, and Mon Amour in Vineyard Haven; and Coop de Ville in Oak Bluffs.
  • Founded in 2004, Island Alpaca Company is an Oak Bluffs farm that breeds, boards, sells, and educates the public about… alpacas. What is an alpaca, one might ask? Well, it is an animal in the camelid family, it is slightly smaller than a llama, and it is most often bred for its wool, from which clothes and blankets are made. As of January, alpacas Angelica, Angelito, Anika, Ariana, and Apollo were for sale.
  • Opened in July of 2011, Martha’s Vineyard Chowder Company sells more than 2,000 gallons of its clam chowder per year; the recipe does not include butter, oil, flour, or gluten.
  • Among many yoga instructors on the Vineyard, Robert Sidoti offers Broga yoga—it’s for men—in Vineyard Haven.
  • Deep Bottom Cove is one of the fingers of Tisbury Great Pond, on the south side of the island. It is also the name of a song by The Lemonheads.
  • Martha’s Vineyard’s high-school football team defeated Nantucket, 14 to 0, in the ‘Island Cup’ contest in November 2013. The Vineyarders have won 10 straight in the annual, inter-island game.
  • Operated seasonally, Hyline High Speed Ferry offers inter-island transport to Nantucket for $36 (one way) and $72 (return).
Martha's Vineyard

Provincetown

Fun facts about the town of Provincetown…

Provincetown
  • By road, it is 76 miles from Provincetown to Plymouth. By boat, the distance is about 22-25 nautical miles.
  • According to the 2010 U.S. Census, Provincetown’s population is 2,642; the figure represents a 17 percent decline since 2000.
  • Including water area, the town occupies 17.5 square miles, making Provincetown comparable in size to East Bridgewater and Rockport, Massachusetts and Sanibel Island, Florida.
  • The Pilgrims signed the Mayflower Compact aboard the ship following their arrival in what is now Provincetown Harbor on, or about, November 11, 1620.
  • Provincetown’s town scroll bears the words “Birthplace of American Liberty.”
  • The Pilgrim Monument at 1 High Pole Hill Road was constructed in Provincetown to honor the 1620 landing of the Mayflower Pilgrims on Cape Cod; President Theodore Roosevelt laid the structure’s cornerstone in 1907, and three years later, President William Howard Taft dedicated the monument.
  • The Pilgrim Monument stands 252 feet and 7-1/2 inches; the structure features 116 stairs and 60 ramps. Climbing the tower is not for the faint of heart . . .nor the faint of height.
  • Every Thanksgiving Eve, more than 3,000 white lights strung from the top of the Pilgrim Monument are turned on to burn brightly through the New Year’s holiday. In 2013, the lights were switched on by Laurie Frottier, the widow of fisherman Jean Frottier, who was lost at sea almost one year before when his Provincetown scalloper, the Twin Lights, went down.
  • Provincetown is often identified as the number one gay community in the United States. The Provincetown Business Guild (PBG) is a non-profit organization that helps maintain that reputation by promoting Provincetown to the GLBT market worldwide.
  • Provincetown was voted “Best Gay Resort Town” by Planet Out in 2006, 2007, and 2008, and garnered the same prize from Out Traveler in November/December 2005.
  • Holiday gaiety in P’town includes the annual Holly Folly—billed as the world’s only GLBT holiday festival—which is held December 5 though 7 in 2014. Highlights include the Santa Speedo Run, Drag Bingo, the Shop Hop Raffle, and performances by the Boston Gay Men’s Chorus.
  • Provincetown is considered America’s oldest arts colony. The community’s artistic roots were established in the late 1800s and early 1900s when famous American portrait and genre painter, Charles Webster Hawthorne, founded the Cape Cod School of Art.
  • The Provincetown Art Association and Museum (PAAM) celebrates its 100th birthday in 2014 with such exhibits as “PAAM 100: A Century of Inspiration,” which honors the organization’s multi-talented member artists.
  • Notable residents over the years have included playwright Tennessee Williams (A Streetcar Named Desire) and Norman Mailer (Writer of two Pulitzer-Prize winning books, The Executioner’s Song and Armies of the Night). Other famous artists and writers with connections to the town include John Dos Passos, Mark Rothko, and Jack Kerouac.
  • Author of Desire Under the Elms, Long Days’ Journey Into Night, and Beyond the Horizon, famed American playwright, Eugene O’Neill (1883-1953), was living in Provincetown when he was notified he had won a Pulitzer Prize. O’Neill spent several years living and working in Provincetown.
  • The Berta Walker Gallery has been showcasing Provincetown’s historic arts movement for decades. Walker—whose grandparents hung out with Provincetown resident and famed playwright, Eugene O’Neill, in the early 1900s and whose gallery continues to represent several students of former P’town greats like Hans Hofmann and Henry Hensche—is the grande dame of the town’s art world.
  • Built of wash-a-shore lumber and driftwood in the 1920s by fishermen and artists seeking creative solitude, Provincetown’s dune shacks have been managed by the National Park Service since the 1990s. Those interested in a rustic retreat can apply to live in the shacks.
    The 10th annual Providence Jazz Festival is held in August at town hall. This year’s lineup includes Dave Vannatter, Kathy Kosins, and the Cape Cod Jazz Quintet.
  • Donald MacMillan of Provincetown traveled with Admiral Peary on an expedition to the Arctic in 1908. Over the years, MacMillan became an expert of the region, and in 1927 he founded a school for Eskimo boys in the Canadian province of Labrador.
  • On December 17, 1927, the submarine U.S.S. S4 sunk off the coast of Wood End Light after surfacing and colliding with a former U.S. Navy destroyer on loan to the Coast Guard to help search for booze runners during Prohibition; the submarine’s entire crew of 40 perished.
  • In 1931, a summer home that writer Eugene O’Neill owned at Peaked Hill on the dunes was washed into the sea.
  • Provincetown High’s baseball team defeated Mashpee, 7-6, in an MIAA playoff game in 2005; at the time, Provincetown High had about 100 students in grades 7-12, while Mashpee’s student body was more than 1,000.
  • After the eight members of the Class of 2013 (all girls) graduated in June of 2013, Provincetown High School closed its doors due to declining numbers; the town’s students now attend Nauset Regional in Eastham, or Cape Cod Regional Technical in Harwich.
  • Since 1975 when well-known Cape scientist Stormy Mayo of the Provincetown Center for Coastal Studies teamed up with a local charter boat captain to create the Dolphin Fleet, thousands have enjoyed whale-watching cruises off Provincetown from April through October, to watch fin, humpback, and right whales frolic.
  • Founded in 1980, the annual Pan-Mass Challenge—which includes a two-day bike race from Sturbridge and through 36 other Massachusetts towns—has a Provincetown finish line. The PMC raises more funds than any other athletic fundraiser in the country, and in 2013, tallied $39 million for cancer research.
  • The Whydah Pirate Shipwreck Museum at Macmillan Wharf displays gold, silver, cannons, and personal belongings retrieved from the ship pirated by ‘Black Sam’ Bellamy, which wrecked off the coast of Wellfleet in 1717.
  • A trip on the Plymouth-to-Provincetown Ferry takes about 90 minutes and costs $43 for an adult, round-trip ticket.
  • Provincetown is one of just two Cape towns that does not have a Dunkin’ Donuts.
  • At The Purple Feather Café and Treatery, delicacies include Sweet & Salty Pretzels, Chocolate Bacon, Almond Butter Crunch Pretzels, and Chocolate Covered S’mores.
  • At The Mews Restaurant and Cafe on Commercial Street, diners can savor more than 250 different kinds of vodka—it is rumored more vodkas are served here than at any other watering hole on the East Coast.
  • The region’s Portuguese heritage continues to add spice to this quintessential American melting pot community; tourists make special trips to P’town for the sweet treats at the Provincetown Portuguese Bakery, including the tasty malasada, a Portuguese-style donut.
  • Skully-jo was once considered a delicacy in Provincetown. The hard snack, which also has Portuguese roots, consists of split, salted, and dried haddock; it is said children would carry the treat in their pockets and chew on it throughout the day.
  • In 2010, P’town was named the most ‘dog friendly town’ in the country by Dog Friendly magazine. Out of 2,997 residents surveyed by the magazine, more than 500 had canines. Businesses in Provincetown frequently allow dogs to shop along with their owners and biscuits and bowls of water sometimes welcome dogs at shops and restaurants.
  • One Cape Cod LIFE staffer recalls a time when her neighbors, Joe and Anthony took their dog, Hutch, to P’town for lunch and ordered their happy pup his own hamburger.
  • The ZIP code 02657 in Provincetown reportedly has the highest concentration of same-sex households of any in the country.
Provincetown

Truro

Fun facts about the town of Truro…

Truro
  • Of all the Cape’s towns, Truro has the smallest population. According to the 2010 U.S. Census, the population of year-round residents is 2,003. About 65% of Truro homes are seasonally occupied.
  • Truro occupies approximately 26.3 square miles, making it comparable in size to Arlington County, Virginia and Gozo, a Maltese island in the Mediterranean.
  • The town is bounded on the east by the Atlantic Ocean; on the south by Wellfleet; on the west by Cape Cod Bay, and on the north by Provincetown. In a straight line across Cape Cod Bay, Truro is 57 miles from Boston.
  • Truro was incorporated in 1709; the town was named after the village of Truro in Cornwall, England.
  • Truro is considered one of the least commercial and developed towns on the Cape; more than half of Truro’s land belongs to the Cape Cod National Seashore, which was established in 1961.
  • North Truro is home to the Cape’s first, and tallest, lighthouse; built in 1797, Cape Cod Lighthouse—a.k.a. Highland Light—is still in operation today.
  • Truro has no fast-food restaurants or stoplights.
  • On July 16, 2009, Truro celebrated its 300th birthday; the festivities included a town-wide treasure hunt, a Taste of Truro gala, and a tercentennial parade.
  • Truro was once called Pamet by the Payomet Indians. An English sea captain, Martin Pring, who briefly visited Cape Cod’s shores in 1603, described the Payomets as healthy, cheerful, and self-reliant people, in contrast to the prevailing European attitude of the time that Indians were savages.
  • After reaching Cape Cod’s shores in 1620, the Mayflower anchored in what would become Provincetown Harbor. After signing the Mayflower Compact, some of the Pilgrims went ashore and camped for a night in the wilderness. The explorers tramped through “bough and bush and under hills and valleys that tore our very armour to pieces,” according to Mourt’s Relation, a journal kept by Pilgrims William Bradford and Edward Winslow.
  • Pilgrim Springs in Truro is the site where the Mayflower pilgrims, led by Captain Myles Standish, had their first drink of North American fresh water. Standish’s nickname was ‘Captain Shrimp’; Standish is also the 10th great grandfather of Susan Dewey, Cape Cod LIFE’s editor.
  • The Reverend John Avery was the first minister in Truro, serving in the role from 1710 to 1754; he was also a doctor, farmer, and blacksmith.
  • In 1718, Truro constructed a town “pound” in the village’s center that contained stocks and a whipping post for those who disobeyed strict civil and religious rules.
  • Truro was once called ‘Dangerfield’ because of its proximity to a treacherous coastal location where countless shipwrecks occurred.
  • One of the most famous Cape Cod shipwrecks was that of the HMS Somerset, a British man-of-war, in 1778. Following the Revolutionary War wreck, triumphant Truro townspeople took part in the march of more than 400 British sailors to Boston. For hundreds of years, portions of the ship’s hull have been uncovered by storms.
  • By the early 1800s, Truro was a thriving community with an economy based on fishing, shipbuilding, and salt works powered by windmills. Experienced whaling men from Truro were recruited by early Nantucketers to teach the islanders how to catch whales and ‘blackfish.’
  • On October 3, 1841, 57 men from Truro died in a storm at sea on seven ships; they are remembered with a memorial at Truro’s congregational church.
  • Truro resident, John Wilson, fought in Company A 58th Regiment during The Civil War; Wilson wrote about his experiences in a Confederate prison camp in a book titled Seven Months in a Rebel Prison.
  • The railroad came to Truro—via the 14-mile Wellfleet to Provincetown extension—in 1873, making the town more accessible to visitors and tourists.
  • Writer Henry David Thoreau referred to Truro as the “wrist of Cape Cod.”
  • Following the Portland Gale in November of 1898, debris and bodies from the Portland washed ashore near Peaked Hill Livesaving station in Truro; the Truro Historical Museum still has some of the shipwreck’s items in its collection.
  • In 1920, residents of Truro performed a reenactment of the Pilgrims’ landing in the town on the 300th anniversary of its occurrence; 3,000 attendees paid $.50 to see the show, titled “The Tercententiary Pilgrim Pageant,” and the funds helped pay for the town’s new Pilgrim Library.
  • In 1996, Highland Light was moved back 453 feet from cliffs facing Nantucket Sound.
  • Cranberry production was at its height in Truro in 1953; it ceased almost completely within the next 10 years.
  • American artist Edward Hopper (1882-1967), who painted Nighthawks and numerous other highly regarded paintings, had a cottage on the dunes in Truro.
  • Beach plums—Prunus maritima—can be found in abundance in Truro; though too tart to eat, the fruit is used in Cape Cod jellies and jams.
  • Truro Vineyards of Cape Cod grows chardonnay, cabernet franc, and merlot grapes for 13 different wines on a five-acre farm. The vineyards—a favorite spot for weddings and special events—also holds wine tastings and guided tours.
  • The 115th Christmas Bird Count will be held in December 2014 in Truro, Buzzards Bay, Martha’s Vineyard, and other locales in North America.
  • Truro is home to America’s oldest golf course, Highland Links, which was built in 1892; the course features nine scenic holes perched on windswept cliffs, many with stunning water views.
  • In the summer of 1931, Days’ Cottages and a self-service market opened along the shore in North Truro at the edge of Provincetown; early prices at Days’ Cottages were $5 per night and $100 per month.
  • Today, Days’ Cottages are a haven for artists and writers; the cottages—such as Zinnia, Tulip, and Peony—each get their name from a flower.
  • Truro is one of just two Cape Cod towns that does not have a Dunkin’ Donuts coffee shop; the other is Provincetown.
  • The North Truro-based radio station, 102.3 FM “The Dunes,” first broadcast in 2007. The station plays classic hits by Elvis, Madonna, and Donna Summer as well as its most requested group—The Beatles. The Dunes’ Saturday morning disc jockeys, Suzanne Tonaire and Ron Robin have more than 50 years of on-air experience.
  • Truro Center for the Arts at Castle Hill celebrated its 40th anniversary in 2013; the center is an internationally recognized artistic mecca offering workshops and lectures in painting, printmaking, sculpture, and writing in a scenic setting within walking distance of Cape Cod Bay.
  • At the conclusion of the film Men in Black II, Tommy Lee Jones’ character, Agent K, retired and became a postal worker in Truro.
Truro
Page 1 of 22012345...102030...Last »