Fresh February Tomatoes
- 2-3 pounds fresh tomatoes
- Five cups water
- Ice cubes
- Wash the tomatoes well. Boil half the water in a sauce pan. Put the rest of the water in a steel bowl with ice cubes.
- When the water is really boiling, drop in several of the tomatoes and boil until each one’s skin splits. Take out with a fork and plunge into the ice water. A minute or so later, peel off all the skin.
- If you wish, you can cut the tomato in half and scoop out all the seeds with your finger or a small spoon.
- Freeze the tomatoes in a plastic container. Great mixed with chopped basil, fresh parsley and olive oil for bruschetta, or as a simple, summer sweet addition to tomato sauces, soups, etc.