Five local bakeries share recipes for delicious fruit pies - the perfect ending to a wonderful meal, all summer long
Almond Raspberry Lemon Verbena Pie
Almond Sable Dough
- 1 ¼ cups butter, at room temperature
- 1 ¼ cups confectioner’s sugar
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ²/³ cup almond flour
- 3 eggs
1. In the bowl of a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine butter, confectioner’s sugar, all-purpose flour, and almond flour. Mix until all ingredients are well blended. Add eggs and mix until dough is formed. Do not over mix. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- 7/8 cup all-purpose flour
- 7/8 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 2 tablespoons almond flour
- ½ cup butter at room temperature
- 2 eggs
2. Combine flour, confectioner’s sugar, almond flour, and butter together in the bowl of a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Mix until all ingredients are well blended. Add eggs and blend. Set aside until needed.
Lemon Verbena Pastry Cream
- 1 cup of milk
- 2/3 cup lemon verbena, chopped
- 1/3 cup of sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup butter
- 10 ounces heavy cream
3. In a saucepan, bring milk and half of the sugar to a boil. Add verbena and remove saucepan from the heat. Cover with a lid and let infuse for 15 minutes.
4. In a mixing bowl, combine the remaining sugar, egg, and cornstarch. Using a whisk, mix well until the ingredients turn a pale yellow color. Strain the milk mixture into the whisked mixture. Pour back into the saucepan and heat over medium heat until thickened. Remove from heat and add butter. Mix well until incorporated. Pour cream into a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until cool.
5. Whip heavy cream until thickened. Remove plastic wrap from verbena cream. Using a whisk, homogenize the verbena cream and fold in the whipped cream gently. Keep refrigerated until needed.
6. Preheat oven to 350° F.
7. Place a 9-inch pie pan over a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Lightly butter the inside of the pie plate. Stretch the almond sable dough on a table dusted with flour. With a rolling pin, roll the dough to 9-inches-by-9-inches and ¼-inch thick. Place the dough over the pie plate and press with your fingers to line the dough evenly inside the plate. Cut off the excess dough.
8. Spread almond cream over the dough and bake until a light golden brown color. Set aside to cool. Spread ¾ of the verbena cream over the almond cream. Place fresh raspberries next to each other until the entire cream is covered. Using a soup spoon make a “quenelle”— a small oval shaped dumpling of cream that is formed by two soup spoons— of verbena cream to top the pie. Garnish with springs of fresh verbena.
This recipe is from PB Boulangerie at 15 Lecount Hollow Road in South Wellfleet. 508-349-1600.