Italian Pastry Cream Fruit Tart
- 1 cup unsalted cold butter, cut into small cubes
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Preheat oven to 350° F
1. Place cold butter in a food processor. Pulse in egg, sugar, flour, salt, and vanilla until it comes together to form a soft dough. Place dough in a 9-inch tart pan covering the bottom and sides. Fill the dough with dried beans to keep the dough from puffing up during baking. Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until the dough is light brown. For the last 5 minutes, remove the beans. The beans can be saved for future use.
ALMOND PASTRY CREAM
- 1 ¼ cups whole milk
- 3 egg yolks
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
2. In a small saucepan, warm the milk over low heat until it is just hot enough to steam. While milk is warming, whisk together the egg yolks, sugar, flour, and cornstarch until the mixture is completely smooth.
3. Once the milk is steaming, add half of it to the egg mixture, whisking constantly. Add the milk and eggs back into the hot milk, continue stirring, and heat it for 1-2 minutes, until the custard reaches 170° F on a digital thermometer and is very thick. Remove from the heat, stir in the almond extract, and chill the pastry cream completely before filling the dough.
4. When the filling is cool, fill the tart shell.
- 2 pounds of fresh strawberries, sliced
- 4 fresh kiwis, sliced
- 1 pint of fresh blueberries
- Small jar of apple jelly or red currant jelly, melted in microwave
5. Arrange fresh fruit on top of tart. Brush the fresh fruit with the melted jelly for a nice shine.
This recipe is from Marion’s Pie Shop at 2022 Main Street, Chatham. 508-432-9439. marionspieshopofchatham.com