Goes with Heavenly Strawberry Birthday Cake.
Total Time:40 Minutes
- 6 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 and 1/4 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Whisk together egg yolks and 1/4 cup of the sugar. Put milk and remaining sugar into a heavy bottomed saucepan, and heat over medium flame.
- Add cornstarch and flour to the egg mixture, and whisk well. When milk is steaming and comes almost to a boil, whisk a bit of it into the eggs to temper them (so they don’t burn and cook in chunks).
- Pour the eggs back into the milk, whisking constantly, and bring back to a boil.
- When thick enough to spread, remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla.
- Scrape into a mixing bowl, press plastic wrap against the top of the cream (this will help prevent it forming a skin) and refrigerate until needed.