Recipe provided by Judith Buckeridge from the Cuttyhunk Union Methodist Church cookbook, Cuttyhunk Favorites.
- 1 ½ pounds beef, cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons pepper
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- ¼ cup red wine
- ¼ cup water
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- ½ teaspoon dill seed
Thicken with a roux of:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 can halved artichokes
- 1 can drained cooked onions (whole)
- 1 pint cooked sliced mushrooms
- Brown beef in oil with salt, pepper, and garlic. Add tomato sauce, red wine, water, bouillon, and dill and simmer 1 ½ hours.
- Thicken with roux. Add artichokes, onions and mushrooms. Heat through.
- Serve with salad, bread and the rest of the wine.