Recipe courtesy of Pamela McKinstry from her cookbook Recipes from the Sconset Café on Nantucket Island.
Total Time:25 minutes
- 1 cup walnut halves
- ¼ cup sugar
- 4 8 oz. boneless, skinless chicken breasts olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup cranberry vinaigrette
- 10 cups mixed baby greens, washed and dried
- 1 cup crumbled Stilton cheese
- Place the walnuts in a large skillet and toast lightly over low heat for 5 minutes. The skillet must accommodate the walnuts in a single layer. Tend carefully as the nuts will burn very easily. When they are hot on both sides, sprinkle with sugar, raise the heat to medium and continue cooking until the sugar melts and coats the nuts. Spread the walnuts on a plate to cool.
- Lightly flatten the chicken breasts between sheets of wax paper or plastic wrap until they are an even thickness. Brush with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill the chicken on a hot barbecue and set aside to cool slightly. If you are grilling the chicken a day or two in advance of serving this salad, reheat for a minute in your microwave to warm the meat.
- Place the lettuce in a large bowl and toss with ½ cup of the cranberry vinaigrette. Add more as needed. Divide the lettuce between four large plates.
- Cut the chicken into attractive strips and arrange in a spoke pattern atop the lettuce. Garnish each with ¼ cup Stilton cheese and ¼ cup walnuts. Drizzle a bit of vinaigrette over the chicken and serve.