Recipes provided by Paul Cunningham, executive chef at Willowbend Country Club.
- 2 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
- ¼ cup sugar
- 6 ounces unsalted butter
- 8 ounces dried cranberries
- 1 teaspoon orange zest, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk or heavy cream (plus more for brushing)
- Preheat oven to 375˚F.
- In a medium size-mixing bowl, add all dry ingredients and mix well. Add butter and mix until the consistency is that of a fine meal. Add cranberries and orange zest and mix.
- Mix together the vanilla extract and buttermilk or heavy cream. Pour over dry ingredients and mix just until coming together. Turn the dough out onto a floured work surface and gently knead a few times. Roll or pat out to ¾-inch thick and cut into 3-inch round scones.
- Place scones on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Brush each scone with a small amount of heavy cream and sprinkle lightly with sugar.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown in color.
- Courses: Breakfast and brunch