Recipe by Susan Ventura, Taunton, MA. Courtesy of Make It Better With Cranberries 2010, A.D. Makepeace Company & the Cape Cod Cranberry Growers’ Association
Total Time:1 hour 45 minutes
- 9-inch tart shell pan with a removable bottom
- 2 cups flour
- ½ cup confectioners’ sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- /14 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups fresh cranberries
- 1 1/4 cups pecans, toasted and coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In the bowl of an electric mixer or food processor, combine flour, sugar, and salt. Add butter and orange zest, mixing until well combined and dough is formed.
- Dump dough into the middle of the tart shell pan. Using your hands press the dough from the middle outward, spreading the dough across the bottom and up the sides of the pan. (Use a sheet of plastic wrap between dough and hands.)
- Prick entire bottom of shell with a fork. Cover shell with aluminum foil and add pie weights or hard beans to fill the shell.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Remove the weights (or hard beans) and foil. Return shell to oven and bake an additional 15 minutes. Cool on a wire rack while making the filling.
- Decrease oven temperature to 325 degrees. Pour water into a saucepan with high sides. Carefully pour sugar into the middle of the water at center of the pan. Gently stir until all the sugar is moistened.
- Cook over medium-high heat without stirring until the mixture bubbles and turns a light gold color. Turn heat down to medium-low and gently stir until mixture turns a bronze color. Remove from heat.
- Carefully whip in the heavy cream with a long handle whip. (The mixture will rapidly bubble up and steam). Add butter, vanilla, lemon zest, and salt; stir to combine and until butter melts. Add the cranberries and pecans, stirring well.
- Pour into the cooled tart shell. Bake at 325 degrees for 30 minutes. The center should not jiggle when pan is moved. Allow to cool completely before slicing.