Recipe is from Harvesting Nantucket, The Taste of Bartlett’s Ocean View Farm.
Total Time:Serves 2.
- One bag farm grown baby spinach (8 ounces)
- ½ cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Pecorino Romano, freshly grated
- (option) chopped chives for garnish
- Bring milk and one cup of water to a boil in a small saucepan. Slowly pour in cornmeal. Whisk, keeping polenta smooth while it thickens. Reduce heat to low; bubble for ten minutes. Remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in one tablespoon butter, let sit covered.
- Rinse spinach in a colander, and shake to remove excess water. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and toss to evenly distribute seasonings. In a large sauté pan, heat one tablespoon of olive oil on medium heat. Place seasoned spinach into pan, using tongs to coat both sides with hot oil, but do not wilt spinach. Remove from heat.
- In a small sauté pan, heat one quarter cup olive oil on medium heat. Gently break two eggs into hot oil. Cook for one minute, then gently turn with slotted spoon. Cook for another minutes.
- Serve in two shallow dishes. Place the polenta on the bottom of each dish, then top with warm spinach and a fried egg. Garnish each dish with Pecorino Romano and chopped chives.
- Courses: Breakfast and brunch