Photo source: http://www.flickr.com/photos/clairity/
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 12 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- Basic French Pastry Cream
- French Crème Chantilly
- 1 quart fresh strawberries
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F
- Whisk flour and 3/4 cup sugar in a mixing bowl. Add salt and vanilla to egg whites and beat with a whisk or electric beater until they are just frothy. Sprinkle cream of tartar on top, and continue beating until they form stiff, glossy peaks. Add the remaining sugar, 1/4 cup at a time, then fold in the dry ingredients gradually.
- Scoop the batter into your un-greased angel food cake pan. Bake 40 to 45 minutes.
- Place cake still in the pan upside down on a bottle or metal funnel to keep from crushing the top. If your pan has legs, set it directly on them. Let the cake cool thoroughly for 1 and 1/2 hours. This helps the cake retain its structure. Remove from the pan with a knife.
- Slice 1 quart strawberries; set aside.
- Place one cake on a serving platter. Spread top with Basic French Pastry Cream and sliced strawberries, being careful not to spread too close to the edges as the top cake will squirt any extra cream and berries out.
- Place second cake on top, sticking with wooden skewers as necessary to keep in place (don’t forget about these when you cut and serve it!). Frost the whole cake with French Crème Chantilly, and decorate with sliced strawberries on top.