Recipe courtesy of the Lobster Pot Restaurant.
- ½ cup butter, clarified
- Shells from 2 pounds of lobsters
- Shells from 2 pounds of shrimp
- 2 pounds onion, finely chopped
- 2 pounds carrot, finely chopped
- Pinch of tarragon leaf
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- ½ cup dry white wine
- ¾ cup tomato paste
- 4 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 bunch of leeks, cleaned thoroughly and finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 4 cups fish stock
- 1 cup veal stock
- ½ cup flour
- 1 cup brandy
- 2 cups heavy cream
- ¼ pound lobster meat
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, sear the shells in butter and then add the carrots, onions and seasonings. Sauté for five minutes. Add flour and cook for five more minutes, stirring so that it does not stick. Add wine, then scrape and release any stuck bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add tomato paste and veal stock and bring to a boil. This should start to thicken. Add fish stock and continue simmering at least 45 more minutes. Skim any foam that comes to the surface.
- In a second pot, sauté leeks and celery until softened, add tomatoes and brandy. Flambé the brandy. Add cream and reduce until thickened.
- Strain the first pot into the second pot and season with salt and pepper. Add lobster meat.