Recipe excerpted from The Home Port Cookbook by Will Holtham. Copyright © 2011 by Will Holtman and used by permission of Lyons Press.
- 1 ½ quarts canola oil
- 1 pint shucked oysters, halved or quartered and strained
- ½ cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup pancake mix
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- ¼ tablespoon white pepper
- ½ teaspoon Old Bay or preferred seafood spice
- ½ teaspoon dried dill
- Cocktail Sauce
- Dill Sauce
- Heat three inches of oil in a 10- to 12-inch heavy bottomed pot to 360°.
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl, stirring gently.
- When oil reaches 360°, spoon in the batter one tablespoon at a time. Use two spoons to keep your fingers away from the hot oil. Be careful not to crowd the pot. Roll fritters in oil once they have browned lightly so they cook evenly on all sides.
- When golden brown, remove fritters and let cool slightly on a paper towel to remove excess oil. Serve with tartar sauce, cocktail sauce, or dill sauce and lemon wedges.
- Options: Add chopped spinach, cilantro, or parsley to the batter for added flavor.