Oysters with Blood Orange Mignonette
Recipe courtesy of Michael Brisson of l’etoile restaurant in Edgartown on Martha’s Vineyard.
- 1/3 cup shallots, minced
- ¾ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¾ teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup sauvignon blanc
- cup blood orange puree (or pomegranate puree)*
- cup Champagne vinegar
- 24 oysters
- salt and pepper to taste
- garnish with sliced chives
*Available at gourmet food stores.
- Heat a large sauté pan. Add shallots and black pepper (no oil) and stir with a wooden spoon until sizzling. Add blood orange puree, vinegar, sugar, wine and salt and pepper to taste. (More puree can be added to taste.) Boil two minutes and chill. Do not strain.
- Shuck oysters. Loosen meat and keep on bottom shell. Place 1 ½ teaspoons of sauce on each oyster. Garnish and serve. Makes 2/3 cup of sauce.