Recipe courtesy of The Mews Restaurant & Café
- 4 slices of bacon, chopped (Applewood smoked preferred)
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 4 cups clam juice
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme and 2 bay leaves, tied together with kitchen string
- 2 tablespoons sherry
- 4 small potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 pound bay scallops or larger scallops cut into smaller pieces
- Using a large pot, sauté bacon over medium heat to render fat. Sweat onion and celery in fat until soft. Add remaining ingredients except cream and scallops.
- Bring contents of pot to a boil over medium/high heat. Cook until potatoes are soft. (If chowder is too thin, it can be thickened. Mix together one teaspoon of water with one teaspoon of cornstarch until smooth. Stir into boiling chowder. This can be repeated to desired thickness.)
- Add scallops and cream and turn down heat. Poach scallops until just cooked. Remove thyme and bay leaves and check seasonings.