Recipe courtesy of Martha’s Vineyard Chowder Company.
- 4 large Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into medium dice
- 1 white onion, peeled and cut into medium dice
- 1 large celery root, peeled and cut into medium dice
- 1 leek (white part only) cut thin
- 1 quart clear vegetable stock
- 3 quarts whole milk
- 1 cup Crème Fraiche
- 2 tablespoons butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- 16 medium shrimp, shelled and cleaned
- 8 slices smoked bacon
- 8 tablespoons thinly sliced Yukon Gold potatoes
- kosher salt and ground pepper
- Put potatoes, onion, celery root, leek, vegetable stock and milk into a large soup pot and cook over medium heat until potatoes and celery root are tender, about a half hour. Remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes. Puree in small batches, until smooth.
- Return the soup to the soup pot and whisk in Crème Fraiche and butter. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring saucepan full of lightly salted butter to a boil. Add shrimp and lower the heat to simmer until shrimp is cooked through. Let shrimp cool and cut into half inch pieces. Cook bacon over low heat until crispy and dry on paper towel. Cook potatoes in salted boiling water until just tender.
- Right before serving the soup, combine shrimp, bacon and potatoes and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Serve by pouring soup over garnish in a warm bowl and top with chives.