Read this recipe’s accompanying article.
Total Time:40 minutes
- 1 medium-size pie pumpkin, peeled and seeded and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced
- Juice of 1 and 1/2 limes
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 medium cucumber, chopped
- 1 tomato, cored and chopped
- 1 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Arrange the pumpkin pieces on a baking sheet in a single layer and drizzle with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and the water. Bake for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the pumpkin is tender and begins to brown. Toss with the garlic and set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss together the lime juice, remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil, white vinegar, cucumber, tomato, and red onion. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in the chickpeas and the pumpkin; toss well. Taste for salt, pepper, and vinegar, and season as needed. Serve at once, with a hunk of cheddar cheese and some toasted rustic bread. If you have leftovers, they make an excellent addition to a green salad the next day.