Recipe courtesy of The Cape Cod Fish & Seafood Cookbook by Gillian Drake. This cookbook can be purchased at many bookstores on Cape Cod, at Nauset Fish Market in Orleans and also through Amazon.com.
- 24 cherrystone clams
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium potato, diced
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 4 tablespoons diced salt pork
- ¼ cup finely chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons diced red pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons flour
- ½ cup heavy cream
- dash of cayenne pepper
- 1 oz. brandy
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- pastry for 2-crust, 10-inch pie
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Shuck or steam open the clams and chop them coarsely, saving ½ cup of liquor.
- Melt 4 tablespoons of butter in a skillet and add the onions, celery and salt pork. Cook until the vegetables are soft and the pork is opaque white. Add the diced red pepper, potatoes, parsley and chopped quahogs and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Place in a bowl and set aside.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a skillet and stir in 2 tablespoons of flour. Add the clam liquor and stir until the mixture is smooth and slightly thickened. Stir in the brandy and then add the cream slowly, stirring until the mixture is smooth. Add the cayenne and black pepper, and salt if needed. Stir the clam mixture into this sauce and mix well.
- Line a 10” pie pan with pastry and pour the clam mixture into it. Cover with pastry top and seal the edges with a fork. Brush with milk and punch a few small holes in the top to allow steam to escape.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until the top is nicely browned.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.