Recipe by Matthew Peck.
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 6 ounces baby spinach
- ¼ cup red pepper, finely minced
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 medium shallot, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno pepper, finely minced
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon bacon grease or olive oil
- 5 eggs
- ¾ cup feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- ¾ cup half and half cream
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon seasoned salt
- Pinch of nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon celery seed
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon parsley flakes
- ¼ cup of six Italian cheese blend
SAUTÉED FILLING DIRECTIONS:
- In a large sauté pan, sweat the garlic, shallot, and jalapeno until soft. Add mushrooms to pan, cook until soft, then add white wine. Cook until no wine is left. Add spinach and cook down. Add red peppers for one minute before removing mixture from heat. Place mixture in a fine strainer and allow it to reach room temperature.
WET FILLING DIRECTIONS:
- In a large mixing bowl blend eggs with a whisk. (An immersion blender with a whisk attachment, allows for fluffier eggs.) Add sour cream and half and half, and whisk until incorporated. Add dry ingredients and blend. Add feta cheese and whisk lightly.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Very lightly coat pie plate with cooking spray and use paper towel to wipe off excess. Lay crust in pie plate, crimp edges, and poke slight holes in dough with fork on bottom of pie plate. Pour sautéed filling in pie plate and top with wet filling. Use a spatula to evenly distribute filling.
- Bake until golden brown and knife inserted in center comes out clean (about 25 minutes). You can top with the ¼ cup shredded Italian cheese and bake for a few minutes more to melt and brown.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes and enjoy hot, warm, or cold. Can be served with a dollop of sour cream or hot sauce.
- Courses: Breakfast and brunch