Recipe provided by Something Natural, Nantucket.
- 8-10 slices of your favorite whole wheat bread
- 1 large or 2 small ripe tomatoes, cored and sliced
- 4 or 5 large leaves of green leaf or other leafy lettuce
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and shredded
- 1 small cucumber, sliced thin the long way
- Alfalfa sprouts
- Four ripe avocados, mashed with salt and pepper and a teaspoon of lemon juice, left slightly chunky
- Mayonnaise or mustard, optional
- Spread avocado on one slice of bread. Layer lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, alfalfa sprouts then onions, in that order, on the opposite slice. Close and enjoy.