Cottage Street Bakery 5 Cottage Street, Orleans www.cottagestreetbakery.com
- 2 tablespoons active, dry yeast
- 1 ¼ cups milk
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup cooked squash
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup butter, melted and cooled, or ½ cup vegetable oil
- 3 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- Heat milk to lukewarm, add yeast and stir until dissolved.
- Add sugar, salt, eggs and squash to yeast mixture.
- Stir in 3 cups of flour and mix well.
- Add butter or oil and blend into dough.
- Stir in enough of the additional 3 to 4 cups of flour to make a stiff dough or until dough gathers around dough hook of mixer.
- Knead on well-floured board until smooth. Place in large greased bowl and let rise until double in bulk. Punch down, shape and place on greased baking sheet. Let rise again until double in size. Bake at 400° until slightly brown.