Recipe courtesy of Dino’s Harwichport Grille, 561 Main Street (Route 28), Harwichport.
- 6 large eggs
- ½ cup heavy cream or half & half
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- ¼ cup ricotta cheese
- ¼ cup cottage cheese or mascarpone
- ½ cup cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons jam of choice (strawberry, blueberry, orange, or raspberry)
- 6 slices (1 inch thick) of challah, brioche, sour dough, or Texas toast, preferably a day old
- salted or unsalted butter, to taste
- pure maple syrup (optional)
- Whisk together the eggs, cream, milk, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a medium bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix together ricotta cheese, cottage cheese, cream cheese, vanilla, sugar, and jam until smooth and without large lumps.
- Spray a large grill or non-stick skillet with cooking spray or shortening of choice. Carefully dip each slice of bread into the egg mixture until moistened. Then place the bread on the grill or skillet and cook over medium-high heat for 3 to 4 minutes per side until outside is golden brown and center is warm.
- Place 1 to 2 tablespoons of cheese mixture in the center of one slice and spread around to the edges. Cover each prepared slice with another slice to make a “sandwich.” Turn the “sandwich” over and brown the other side for one more minute.
- Place on warmed serving plates. Add butter and syrup to taste.