Recipe courtesy of Susan Dewey.
- 5 pounds fresh green beans
- 6 cups water
- 1 cup Sea Salt
- 6 cups white wine vinegar
- 8 dill flowerheads
- ½ cup pickling spice
- ½ cup mustard seed
- 16 whole cloves of garlic, peeled
- Wash and trim the ends off the fresh green beans. Discard any beans that are soft or spotted. Sterilize eight jars following the home preserving instructions on the Cape Cod Extension Service’s web site (See box). For the brine, boil the water, add the Sea Salt and the white wine vinegar in a large pot, and bring to a boil.
- While the brine cooks, fill each sterilized jar with one head of washed fresh dill flowerhead, one tablespoon of pickling spice, one tablespoon of mustard seed, and two cloves garlic. The beans should be put into a standing position in the jars.
- With a soup ladle, put the hot brine into jars and follow home preserving instructions.
- Delicious served with seafood, pork, or as a side for sandwiches and salads.