Recipe courtesy of Executive Chef Anthony Cole of the Chatham Bars Inn.
- ½ tablespoon sesame seed oil
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- ½ tablespoon garlic, chopped
- ½ tablespoon lemon grass, inside stalk minced
- ½ tablespoon kaffir lime leaf, minced
- 1 ½ cup hoisin
- 1 ounce fermented black beans* (Soaked in warm water for one hour and then drained)
- 2 teaspoons Thai red curry paste
- 2 ounces fish sauce
- 2 ounces dry sherry
- 2 ounces balsamic vinegar
- ½ teaspoon Sambal Thai chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 ounces fresh lime juice
- Sauté garlic, ginger, lemon grass and kaffir lime leaf in sesame oil, to bring out flavors for two minutes. Add all remaining ingredients except cilantro and lime juice and half of the black beans. Simmer over low heat for one hour stirring occasionally.
- Allow to cool and puree in a blender until smooth. Add lime juice, cilantro and the other half of the black beans.