Executive Chef Laurence de Freitas, The Mews Restaurant & Café, 429 Commercial Street, Provincetown, MA 508-487-1500, www.mews.com
- 2 pounds butternut squash, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 large Spanish onion, peeled and chopped into quarters
- extra virgin olive oil
- fresh thyme
- white pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
- French baguette, cut into cubes
- truffle oil
- grated Parmesan cheese
- garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Toss squash and onion in olive oil and place on oiled sheet pan. Roast in hot oven until the onion and squash are browned. You might have to remove the onion first and add to your stockpot, as it tends to brown quicker than the squash chunks. When the squash has browned, toss into stockpot with the onion. Add to the stockpot a bouquet garni of thyme and white pepper and the chicken broth. Bring to a boil and simmer until tender. Remove the bouquet garni and puree the contents of the stockpot adding more chicken broth if you feel that the texture is too thick. Add more pepper and salt if needed.
- Drizzle truffle oil over the cubed baguette along with Parmesan cheese, some garlic powder and salt. Roast in the hot oven until golden brown. Remove and cool.
- To serve, ladle soup in bowl and add some croutons. If you wish, garnish with chopped parsley.