Recipe is from the Dan'l Webster Inn in Sandwich.
- 5 pounds Swiss chard, ribs removed and chopped into large pieces
- 1/2 pound applewood smoked bacon
- 4 ounces apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup fennel, core removed and diced
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons garlic, chopped
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
1. Cook bacon until crisp. Cool, chop and reserve.
2. In a large skillet, heat oil over low heat.
3. Add onions, fennel then garlic and cover. Cook until vegetables are soft.
4. Remove cover and add Swiss chard. Stir with a wooden spoon until it wilts to ½ of the original volume.
5. Add apple cider vinegar and cook for 5 minutes uncovered.
6. Add chopped cooked bacon, season with salt and pepper, and serve immediately.