The Glow of Antiquity
With William Rotch overseas, entrepreneurs like Richard Mitchell, Jr., filled the void. Mitchell, who was also a Nantucketer born into a prominent family, owned more than double the number of vessels of his nearest competitor and held numerous claims to land. One of these holdings, located at the corner of what are now Broad and South Beach streets, became the site of his own refinery.
By 1832, just 50 years after Rotch opened his refinery, there were 43 oil and candle works on Nantucket. With a workforce of 250, the island produced 1.4 million gallons of sperm oil and 1.2 million pounds of candles annually. There are accounts of candles being shipped as far as New Zealand. Thomas Jefferson recommended that Colonists visiting elegant Parisian homes bring the candles as gifts.
However everything changed with the island’s Great Fire of 1846. On July 13, a fire broke out at a hat shop on Main Street that quickly engulfed much of downtown and left hundreds homeless. An article published by Fredrick Elijah Coffin described the night: “One of the peculiar incidents of that wild night was a rare sight of the harbor on fire. Many barrels of whale oil on the wharves had burst, and their contents flowed out over the water of the harbor and there, taking fire, presented the grand spectacle of the sea on fire.” The heart of Nantucket that once housed refineries, oil sheds, shops, and homes now lay smoldering, and the refinery that had passed through generations of Mitchells was destroyed.
Aid to the island poured in from communities around Massachusetts almost immediately, and residents were able to rebuild. This quick recovery allowed Richard Mitchell & Sons, a whale oil concern made up of Richard Mitchell and his heirs, to begin construction of the new refinery on the same property where the original building once stood. After just two years, Richard Mitchell & Sons went bankrupt and sold the refinery to two of Nantucket’s wealthiest merchants, Nathaniel Barney and William Hadwen, in 1849.
Hadwen and Barney, a silversmith and teacher respectively, married into the whaling business. Hadwen first came to the island in 1820 to attend Barney and Eliza Starbuck’s wedding. There he met Eunice Starbuck, Eliza’s sister, who would later become his wife. The Starbuck sisters’ father was Joseph Starbuck, a whaling tycoon and descendant of one of the island’s earliest European settlers.
The two couples would grow to be inseparable and even shared a double house on Main Street. Initially, Hadwen and Barney operated a tryworks, a furnace used to render whale oil from blubber, in the backyard of their Main Street home before moving their business into the refinery.
You might also like:
Less than half a mile east is the iconic Hallet’s Store. It is a true throwback to the 19th-century glory…Read More
On Cape Cod, some residents brewed their own beer or made “bathtub gin,” but if it was quality alcoholic beverages…Read More