Servings: 8 servings
- 1 jumbo Spanish onion chopped
- 1/2 cup Olive Oil
- 1 Granny Smith apple peeled and coarsely shredded
- 2 lb. Butternut Squash peeled, seeds removed, cooked & mashed
- 1/4 cup Molasses
- 3 cups Organic apple juice
- 2 tsp Fresh thyme chopped
- 1/2 tbsp Cinnamon
- 1-1/2 lb. Unsalted Butter cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 cups Heavy Cream
- 3 tbsp Cornstarch
- 1 tbsp Salt or more to taste
- 1 tsp White Pepper or more to taste
- Sauté onion in olive oil until golden brown. Add Granny Smith apple and sauté until softened.
- Add next five ingredients, only using two cups of the apple juice, and simmer for 15 minutes. Add the heavy cream and bring to a simmer, but do not boil. Slowly add the butter, stirring continuously until melted and combined.
- Mix together the remaining cup of apple juice with the cornstarch. Whisk the cold cornstarch slurry into the bisque and bring back to a simmer for six to seven minutes. Season to taste. Bisque is ready when thickened.
This recipe is from The Corner Store at 1403 Old Queen Anne Road in Chatham and also appeared in the 2013 September/October issue of Cape Cod LIFE.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!