Red Velvet Crinkle Cookie
By Douglas Alley. Time: 10-12 minutes
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup unsweetened Dutch
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 ounces butter
(1 stick salted, softened)
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoons red food coloring*
3/4 cup powdered sugar (sifted)
*NOTE: If using food coloring gel or paste, it is more concentrated than liquid. Use half the amount required in recipes using liquid food coloring.
1. In a bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Stir or whisk to blend thoroughly.
2. In a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, vanilla extract, and food coloring until smooth and well blended.
3. With the mixer on low speed, add the flour and cocoa mixture to the batter. Blend well.
4. Chill the dough for at least 2 to 4 hours, or until it is quite firm.
5. Heat oven to 350°. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or spray with nonstick baking spray.
6. Sift the powdered sugar into a bowl.
7. Shape the dough into small balls about 1 inch in diameter and place on the prepared baking sheet about 1 1/2 inches apart. Once you have filled the baking sheet, roll the balls, one or two at a time, in the sifted powdered sugar and place them back on the baking sheet.
8. Bake for about 10 to 12 minutes, or until they are set and have that signature crinkled look.
9. Let the cookies cool in the pan for 4 or 5 minutes, then remove to a rack to cool completely. Repeat with the remaining dough.
Tips and Variations
• Add mini chocolate chips
for more chocolate flavor.
• Use a small cookie scoop to keep the cookies uniform in size, and then shape/roll them with your hands.
You might also like:
Chef Ben Robinson found international fame on Bravo’s reality series “Below Deck,” but this week he’s returned to his home…Read More
“There’s such an incredible history that is important to honor on Nantucket,” says Dowling, explaining that the project spanned nine…Read More