Skip to content

Did you know Eastman’s Hardware has over 100 years of storied history?

Six years later, on April 4, 1913, Charlie took the big leap from serving as store manager for a large, established business to starting his own business endeavor. By mid-July, Charlie saw that business expansion would soon be necessary. Plans were made for construction to begin in the spring of 1914 on two stores that would comprise the Eastman Building on Main Street east of the Village Green. 

Charlie’s property was sizable enough to accommodate more stores. In 1916, he added another shop and the post office moved in. An idea for the Eastman Block’s next development phase came during one of those informal business meetings of the times. The result of that meeting was the opening of the Ipswich Hosiery Shop, later known as The Lady Pepperell Shop, which carried fine linen Pepperell products manufactured by Russell’s firm. Shortly thereafter, Miriam Gould opened a beauty shop next to San Souci barbershop, Charlie’s hardware store expanded, and new rooms were built above the shops for additional tenants.

The distinctive English Tudor front of the Eastman Block resulted from an architectural recommendation to Charlie by Mr. and Mrs. Leonard in the mid-1920s as part of their agreement to acquire store space. While on a trip to Falmouth, England, and strolling the streets of that English seaside resort in Cornwall, from which Falmouth, Massachusetts took its name, the Leonards photographed a 17th-century fishmonger’s shop, and later shared the photos with Charlie. He agreed with the Leonards that a touch of the Old World rightfully deserved a place on Main Street in the New World, and so they commissioned architect Joseph D. Leland to direct the construction of this classic English design. 

During the construction, a coin was discovered that bore the engraved signature of George III and was determined to be more than 100 years old. 

Between 1929 and 1938, more shops were built. The new tenants were Dr. K.A. Bohaker, a dentist; George Sands, a monument builder; Herbert Hunziker, an attorney; Gilbert Boone, a specialist in Cape Cod architecture; and the Succanessett Club for businessmen.



You might also like:

Latest Editions


  • Stay Connected

    Sign up for our newsletter
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.