Eastham Turnip and Mushroom Gratin
- 1 whole Garlic clove smashed
- 7 whole Garlic cloves minced
- 4 cups half and half
- 1 stick Butter
- dried parsley to taste
- 1 tbsp Kosher Salt plus more to taste
- 1/2 tsp Ground black pepper
- 24 oz Mushrooms sliced
- 5 lbs Eastham turnips peeled and very thinly sliced on a mandolin
- 3/4 lb Grated Gruyere cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°. Rub a 9 x 6-inch baking dish with the smashed garlic clove.
- In a small saucepan, combine the half & half, butter, and parsley. Mince the remaining garlic cloves and add to the pan, along with the salt and pepper, and bring to a boil over medium heat, 5 minutes. Remove from the heat, let cool slightly, and adjust the seasoning with salt to taste.
- Place the turnip slices in the prepared baking dish, overlapping each other in long rows. Cover with the mushrooms. Repeat. Pour the warm milk mixture over the turnips and sprinkle the Gruyère on top. Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake in the preheated oven until the turnips are almost fork tender, 45 to 50 minutes. Remove the foil and continue to bake until the top is bubbling and golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes more. Let cool for 5 minutes, then serve.
You might also like:
In this holiday issue of Cape Cod Life I would like to share with you my column from the holidays…Read More
Above, the 2020 issue of Cape Cod LIFE June, known to readers as the Best Of issue. Digital: During these…Read More
HGTV’s 2019 Ultimate House Hunt highlights a few remarkable properties across the region, proving what locals and frequent visitors already…Read More