- 3 lbs beef chuck, trimmed of fat and cut into 1 ½-inch cubes
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tbsps extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsps all-purpose flour
- 1 cup red wine
- 3 tbsps tomato paste
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 6 medium red potatoes, peeled and quartered or cut into chunks for roasting
- 2 cups green beans, cup in halves or thirds
- 4 large carrots, peeled and sliced on a diagonal
- ¼ cup minced fresh parsley leaves
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Sprinkle the beef with salt and pepper. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Brown the beef on all sides in 2 batches. Remove meat from pot and set aside.
- Add the onion and sauté 4 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté another minute or so. Sprinkle the flour over the onion and garlic and cook 1 to 2 minutes, stirring often. Add the wine and tomato paste, scraping up any browned bits that may have stuck to the pot. Add the stock, bay leaf, Worcestershire sauce, and thyme; bring to a simmer. Add the meat; return to simmer, cover, and put in the oven to cook until the beef is fork-tender, about 1 ½ hours.
- Meanwhile, place the potatoes on a baking sheet, and mix with the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil; add salt to taste. Roast until tender, about 40 minutes. Place the green beans in the top of a steamer set over simmering water and steam, 4 minutes. Run the beans under cold water to stop the cooking. Steam carrots 2 to 3 minutes, then run them under cold water.
- Just before serving, add the potatoes to the stew and reheat gently. Stir in the carrots, green beans, and parsley. Season with additional salt and pepper.
This recipe appeared in Cape Cod LIFE April 2023. Recipe selected from Soups + Sides by Catherine Walthers. Follow @catherine_walthers on Instagram or see more at catherinewalthers.com.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!