- 3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 2 ½ tsps baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 8 tbsps unsalted cold butter, cut into small diced pieces (1 stick)
- 2 tbsps chopped fresh dill or chives or parsley (optional)
- 1 ½ cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese or pepper-jack cheese
- 1 to 1 ¼ cups buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 400° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in the bowl of a food processor and pulse to combine. Add the diced butter and pulse until the mixture forms small pebbles.
- Turn the flour mixture into a bowl and add the dill and cheese. Mix in 1 cup buttermilk, then mix in the remaining buttermilk a little at a time.
- Turn dough out onto another piece of parchment paper, sprinkle a little flour on top to keep your hands from sticking to the dough, and lightly press out with your hands until about 1 inch high. Using a biscuit cutter, cut into rounds. Gather and reuse the scraps. Place the biscuits on the prepared baking sheet and bake until the tops are lightly golden and a toothpick inserted in the center of a biscuit comes out clean, 16 to 20 minutes.
This recipe appeared in Cape Cod LIFE April 2023. Recipe selected from Soups + Sides by Catherine Walthers. Follow @catherine_walthers on Instagram or see more at catherinewalthers.com.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!