Pasta with Boscaiola Sauce
- 5 lbs mushrooms (assorted button mushrooms, portabella, and shiitake)
- 1 cup olive oil
- salt and white pepper to taste
- 1/2 lb sliced prosciutto, chopped
- 1 qt light cream
- 2 1/2 lbs vine-ripened tomatoes (chopped)
- 1/2 tbsp fresh sage leaves, julienned and chopped
- 1/2 lb Parmesan cheese rinds
- For the garnish: Parmesan cheese shavings
- Preheat oven to 450º F.
- Clean and dice mushrooms and coat in olive oil, salt and white pepper. Roast in the oven for 45 minutes, or until crispy. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, sauté prosciutto and half the sage until fragrant, about 5-7 minutes. Add the cream and bring to a boil, stirring often so the cream does not separate, turn the heat down to medium-low. Add the chopped tomatoes, Parmesan cheese rinds and the roasted mushrooms. Lower heat and simmer; reduce sauce for three hours, adding the remaining sage just before removing sauce from heat.
- Remove the cheese rinds before serving. Serve with fresh wide-ribbon pasta. Sprinkle fresh sage on the pasta and a few thin shavings of Parmesan to garnish. Serves 10-12.
This recipe appeared in the 2022 Winter issue of Cape Cod HOME. Recipe from Nantucket Taste Memories: The DeMarco Restaurant Cookbook. DeMarco Restaurant was an exceptional seasonal restaurant on Nantucket.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!