- 1 quart Blueberries
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Nutmeg
- 1/4 cup Water
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- 2 cups Flour
- 4 tbsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 4 tbsp Butter
- 4 tbsp Pure lard
- 3/4 cup Milk
- Confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 cups Heavy Cream
- Pick over and wash the blueberries. Place in a 2 quart baking dish. Sprinkle with the cup of sugar mixed with the cinnamon and nutmeg. Moisten with the water and lemon juice. Stir lightly with a fork.
- Bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Stir again and bake for 10 more minutes. Increase the oven heat to 425° and remove the blueberries while making the biscuit dough.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, salt and two tablespoons sugar into a bowl. Work the butter and lard in with your fingertips. Moisten the dough with the milk.
- Drop by tablespoons onto the hot blueberries. Return to the oven and bake until the biscuits have risen well and are golden brown, or about 35 minutes.
- Sprinkle with confectioner’s sugar. Serve with plenty of cream.
This recipe is from A Cookery & Memories from Old Bourne cookbook by The Bourne Society for Historic Preservation. It also appeared in the Spring 2015 issue of Cape Cod HOME.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.