- 4 lbs Bone-in beef short ribs
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 bottle Bordeaux or other dry red wine
- 3 cups Beef broth or quality chicken broth
- 1/4 cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Rosemary leaves chopped, fresh (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1 tbsp Thyme chopped
- 3 Bay leaves
- 1 Celery Rib chopped
- 1 small Yellow Onion chopped
- 1 medium Carrot chopped
- 4 Garlic cloves whole
- Canola Oil
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Sprinkle short ribs lightly with salt and pepper. Using a sauté pan, sear short ribs in a small amount of oil and remove from sauté pan. Add celery, onion, carrots, bay leaves, and garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add wine, broth, vinegar, rosemary, and thyme to the pan. Stir gently to mix, and scrape the browned bits free.
- Place liquid and short ribs in a casserole pan, cover with foil, and bake until meat is very tender when pierced, 2-1/2 to 3-1/2 hours, depending on the size of the short ribs. Remove short ribs from braising liquid and keep warm. Skim and discard any fat from braising liquid and strain sauce into a saucepan. Boil, uncovered, over medium heat stirring often until it reduces to approximately 2 cups, salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix 1-1/2 tablespoons cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of water in a small bowl until smooth. Stir into braising liquid until mixture boils and thickens. Ladle sauce over short ribs, salt and pepper to taste, and garnish with a rosemary or thyme sprig. Makes 4 servings.
This recipe is from Cosmos Catering, 43 Race Point Road, #G, Provincetown • cosmoscatering.com This recipe is from Cape Cod LIFE’s second annual “Best of” recipe section from the April 2017 issue.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!