Marmalade-Stuffed French Toast
- 8 slices French bread thick-sliced
- 4 ounces Cream Cheese softened
- 1/4 cup Orange marmalade
- 4 Eggs
- 1 cup Milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1/2 cup Water
- 3/4 cup Orange Juice with lots of pulp
- 1 tbsp Cornstarch
- 2 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 1 tsp Orange Zest
- Preheat oven to 300°. Place baking sheet in oven.
- Cut through the top crust of each bread slice and make a 4” long by 2” deep pocket. Stir together cream cheese and marmalade in a small bowl. Spoon 1 generous tablespoon of cream cheese mixture into each bread pocket.
- Whisk together eggs, milk, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a pie plate. Dip bread slices into egg mixture, coating completely. Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Place bread on skillet and cook until golden brown, 2-3 minutes per side. Transfer toast to baking sheet in oven and repeat dipping and cooking the remaining slices. Serve with orange syrup. Serves 8.
- Combine sugar and water in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil; stir until sugar is dissolved. Combine orange juice and cornstarch in a bowl, and then pour into syrup. Simmer gently until thick, 6 to 8 minutes. Add butter and stir until it melts. Sprinkle with orange zest and serve warm.
This recipe is from Cape Cod LIFE’s second annual “Best of” recipe section from the April 2017 issue.
You might also like:
In this holiday issue of Cape Cod Life I would like to share with you my column from the holidays…Read More
Above, the 2020 issue of Cape Cod LIFE June, known to readers as the Best Of issue. Digital: During these…Read More
HGTV’s 2019 Ultimate House Hunt highlights a few remarkable properties across the region, proving what locals and frequent visitors already…Read More