Servings: 6 servings
- 1 small Butternut Squash peeled and diced
- 5 tbsp Unsalted Butter divided
- 1 Bosc pear peeled and diced
- 1 shallot peeled and diced
- 1 cup Riesling wine
- 2 cup Vegetable Stock
- 1/2 tsp Nutmeg
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/2 cup cream
- 2 lbs. sea scallops
- Grape seed oil
- Prepared risotto enough for 6 servings
To roast butternut squash:
- Preheat oven to 325°. Place butternut squash in a small roasting pan and season with salt and pepper. Toss with 2 tablespoons of melted butter. Roast until tender when pierced with a fork.
To cook scallops:
- Over medium heat, melt remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in a saucepot and add pear and shallot. When pear and shallot are translucent, deglaze pot with Riesling wine. Add vegetable stock, nutmeg, and sea salt. Continue to simmer over medium heat for 30 minutes. Purée sauce and butternut squash in blender and add cream. Keep warm.
- Remove the muscle from the scallops and season with salt and pepper. Cover the bottom of a hot sauté pan with grape seed oil. Cook the scallops on the first side for 2 ½ to 3 minutes or until golden. Flip the scallops and cook on the other side for 2 ½ to 3 minutes. Add the remaining tablespoon of butter.
- Place ¼ cup purée on six separate plates. Divide scallops over the sauce. Fill the empty side of each plate with the prepared risotto.
This recipe is from Oak & Ember Whiskey Bar and Grill in South Cape Village at 680 Falmouth Road (Rte 28) in Mashpee and appeared in the 2014 Winter issue of Cape Cod HOME.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!