- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 tbsps butter or extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 whole leek, trimmed, cut in half lengthwise, rinsed, and sliced
- 2 lbs carrots, peeled and sliced into ½-inch rounds
- 2 tbsps finely grated fresh ginger
- 5 cups water
- 1 to 2 tsps kosher salt, or to taste
- ½ cup freshly squeezed orange juice (or more if needed)
- 2 tsps maple syrup
- In a large soup pot, sauté the onion in the butter or oil over medium heat for 5 minutes until golden. Add the leeks and carrots and continue cooking and stirring, until the leek is softened, about 8 minutes. Mix in ginger and cook until fragrant, 1 minute longer. Add water and salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer soup until carrots are very tender, about 20 minutes. Let cool a few minutes.
- Puree the soup in batches in the blender, adding orange juice and maple syrup. Blend each batch 1 or 2 minutes to get the soup super smooth and creamy. Add additional water and/or orange juice if the soup seems a bit thick. Return the soup to the pot and heat gently. Season to taste with additional salt, if needed.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!