- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 tbsps butter or extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 whole leek, trimmed, cut in half lengthwise, rinsed, and sliced
- 2 lbs carrots, peeled and sliced into ½-inch rounds
- 2 tbsps finely grated fresh ginger
- 5 cups water
- 1 to 2 tsps kosher salt, or to taste
- ½ cup freshly squeezed orange juice (or more if needed)
- 2 tsps maple syrup
- In a large soup pot, sauté the onion in the butter or oil over medium heat for 5 minutes until golden. Add the leeks and carrots and continue cooking and stirring, until the leek is softened, about 8 minutes. Mix in ginger and cook until fragrant, 1 minute longer. Add water and salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer soup until carrots are very tender, about 20 minutes. Let cool a few minutes.
- Puree the soup in batches in the blender, adding orange juice and maple syrup. Blend each batch 1 or 2 minutes to get the soup super smooth and creamy. Add additional water and/or orange juice if the soup seems a bit thick. Return the soup to the pot and heat gently. Season to taste with additional salt, if needed.
This recipe appeared in Cape Cod LIFE April 2023. Recipe selected from Soups + Sides by Catherine Walthers. Follow @catherine_walthers on Instagram or see more at catherinewalthers.com.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!