- 2 carrots, chopped
- 3 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1 large Spanish onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, smashed
- 2 quarts water
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 stalk of lemon grass
- 1/2 oz ginger, roughly chopped
- 1 zucchini, thinly sliced, lengthwise
- 1 yellow squash, thinly sliced
- 1 small eggplant, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 tomatoes, halved
- olive oil
- fresh basil
- salt & pepper
- Saute carrots, celery, onion, and garlic. Add water, herbs, and ginger. Simmer ½ hour. Strain and reserve broth. Discard vegetables.
- Slice vegetables. Brush vegetables with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Grill over charcoal (if possible) for 3-4 minutes. Cool and cut into strips.
- Toast pinenuts for 7 minutes at 350º F and set aside.
- Prepare pasta. Combine with ½ cup vegetable broth per serving with vegetables, fresh basil and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle pasta with toasted pinenuts.
This recipe appeared in the 2022 Winter issue of Cape Cod HOME. Recipe from DeMarco's Restaurant on Nantucket.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!