Red Lentil Veggie Soup
- 1 bag (1 lb.) Red Lentils
- 1 large Onion diced (2-3 cups)
- 6 spears Celery diced (2 cups)
- 6 - 8 Carrots diced, (2 cups)
- 6 cloves Garlic chopped, (3 tbsp)
- 5 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 small Zucchini diced (2 cups)
- 1 lb Mushrooms sliced
- 35 ounce can Italian tomatoes
- Add olive oil to a 6-to-7-quart soup pot on medium heat. When oil is hot, add onions, carrots, celery, and garlic and sauté on medium heat until very soft and fragrant, about 15 minutes. Add zucchini and mushrooms and continue cooking for another 5 minutes. Add the juice from tomatoes and chop the tomatoes before adding to soup. Simmer the vegetables and tomatoes for 10 minutes. Add the lentils and combine with cooked veggies. Add water leaving the level at about three inches from the lentils. The lentils will swell, break down, and continue to require more water through the cooking. Stir frequently and allow to simmer for another 35 minutes, adding water if necessary. The final consistency should be like that of pea soup.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. It will require a fair amount of salt; use pink Himalayan if available. Serves 8.
You might also like:
In this holiday issue of Cape Cod Life I would like to share with you my column from the holidays…Read More
Above, the 2020 issue of Cape Cod LIFE June, known to readers as the Best Of issue. Digital: During these…Read More
HGTV’s 2019 Ultimate House Hunt highlights a few remarkable properties across the region, proving what locals and frequent visitors already…Read More