- 1 bag (1 lb.) Red Lentils
- 1 large Onion diced (2-3 cups)
- 6 spears Celery diced (2 cups)
- 6 - 8 Carrots diced, (2 cups)
- 6 cloves Garlic chopped, (3 tbsp)
- 5 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 small Zucchini diced (2 cups)
- 1 lb Mushrooms sliced
- 35 ounce can Italian tomatoes
- Add olive oil to a 6-to-7-quart soup pot on medium heat. When oil is hot, add onions, carrots, celery, and garlic and sauté on medium heat until very soft and fragrant, about 15 minutes. Add zucchini and mushrooms and continue cooking for another 5 minutes. Add the juice from tomatoes and chop the tomatoes before adding to soup. Simmer the vegetables and tomatoes for 10 minutes. Add the lentils and combine with cooked veggies. Add water leaving the level at about three inches from the lentils. The lentils will swell, break down, and continue to require more water through the cooking. Stir frequently and allow to simmer for another 35 minutes, adding water if necessary. The final consistency should be like that of pea soup.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. It will require a fair amount of salt; use pink Himalayan if available. Serves 8.
This recipe is from Café Chew, 4 Merchants Road, Sandwich • cafechew.com This recipe is from Cape Cod LIFE’s second annual “Best of” recipe section from the April 2017 issue.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!