Pickled Red Onion
- 1 medium Red Onion thinly sliced into rings
- 1/2 cup Red Wine Vinegar
- 1/2 cup Apple cider vinegar
- 4 tbsp Sugar
- 1 Cauliflower head cut into florets
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil plus more for coating pan
- 2 tbsp Parsley chopped
- 1/2 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 2 tbsp Golden Raisins plumped in hot water then drained
- 4 ounces Ricotta Salata
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 2 tbsp Breadcrumbs toasted
Pickled red onion
- Bring vinegars and sugar to a boil, and pour over sliced red onion. Submerge onion rings and let cool to pickle for 24 hours.
- Heat oven to 425°. Toss cauliflower florets with olive oil, salt, and pepper flakes. Bake on a sheet pan for 15 minutes. Florets should be lightly browned and tender; if not, return to oven for a few additional minutes.
- Heat a large skillet (enough to fit cauliflower) to medium-high heat, and add a light coating of olive oil and cauliflower. Season with a pinch of salt. Add butter and return to oven for 4 minutes until butter browns and becomes nutty in aroma.
- Remove from oven and add raisins and parsley. Place cauliflower on serving dish and sprinkle breadcrumbs on top, drape with drained onion and sliced ricotta salata. Appetizer serves 2
This recipe is from Pizza Barbone, 390 Main Street, Hyannis • pizzabarbone.com This recipe is from Cape Cod LIFE’s second annual “Best of” recipe section from the April 2017 issue.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!