Clam Fritters from The Rose & Crown
- 1 dozen Littleneck clams or an 8 oz. can chopped clams with juice and reserve juice
- 1 Jalapeno Pepper without seeds if you prefer less spice
- 1/2 Yellow Onion
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 3/4-1 cup Cooking broth from clams
- Tabasco sauce to taste
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1 cup Flour
- 1/2 cup Cornmeal
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- Olive Oil for frying
- Clean clams to remove sand. To a pot of boiling water, add salt, pepper and lemon wedges. Add clams and cook until shells open. Remove shells from water and chop meat into small pieces. Reserve a cup or 2 of the cooking broth.
- In a food processor, finely mince jalapeno pepper, onion and garlic. In a bowl, combine jalapeno pepper, onion, garlic, clams, Tabasco sauce, salt, pepper, flour, cornmeal and baking powder. Add cooking broth or canned clam juice to mixture and stir together. Add enough liquid to form sticky balls that will hold together when dropped into the olive.
- In a cast-iron or heavy-bottomed pan, heat olive oil to 350°. Use enough olive oil to cover fritters. Olive oil will shimmer but not smoke when ready. Drop balls in oil and cook until golden brown. Drain a paper towel and serve immediately with lemon and either tartar sauce or cocktail sauce. Serves 4.
You might also like:
In this holiday issue of Cape Cod Life I would like to share with you my column from the holidays…Read More
Above, the 2020 issue of Cape Cod LIFE June, known to readers as the Best Of issue. Digital: During these…Read More
HGTV’s 2019 Ultimate House Hunt highlights a few remarkable properties across the region, proving what locals and frequent visitors already…Read More