Fresh Fruit Trifle
- 1 quart Strawberries sliced
- 1 pint Blueberries
- 1 pint blackberries
- 1 pint Raspberries
- 1 Orange zested
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 3/4 cup Butter softened
- 1-1/2 cups Sugar
- 3/4 tsp Salt
- 3/4 cup Milk
- 3 Eggs
- 5/6 cup all-purpose flour divided
- 1 cup plus 2 tbsp Cake flour
- 1-1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1-1/2 cups Sugar
- 1 cup Water
- 2 tbsp Lemon or orange juice
- Toss berries together with sugar and orange zest. Heat a sauté pan until hot, put berries in pan and quickly sauté for 2 minutes using a spatula to move the berries around. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 1–2 minutes more, remove from heat and cool.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sift together dry ingredients. In a separate mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, scraping down bowl. Add the flour mixture alternating with the milk.
- Pour into greased, parchment lined 9-inch round pan and bake for 50 minutes or until a tester comes out clean.
- Boil the sugar and water together in a saucepan for 1 minute. Remove from heat and add the fruit juice. Cool.
Plating the Dish:
- Cut cake into cubes. Line the bottom of a bowl or trifle dish with 1/3 of the cake cubes. Brush with the simple sugar and spoon 1/3 of the fruit over the cake cubes. Prepare two more layers the same as the first. There will be 3 layers. Chill overnight. Serve by scooping into a bowl and topping with crème fraiche or whipped cream.
This recipe is courtesy of the Red Pheasant Inn at 905 Route 6A in Dennis and also appeared in the July 2013 issue of Cape Cod LIFE.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
You might also like:
Gunkholing: A Special Memory
In this holiday issue of Cape Cod Life I would like to share with you my column from the holidays…Read More
Gunkholing: Best of Both Worlds
Above, the 2020 issue of Cape Cod LIFE June, known to readers as the Best Of issue. Digital: During these…Read More
Ultimate Cape Cod: HGTV’S Ultimate House Hunt highlights properties across the Cape
HGTV’s 2019 Ultimate House Hunt highlights a few remarkable properties across the region, proving what locals and frequent visitors already…Read More
Shortcode field is empty!