Fresh Fruit Trifle
- 1 quart Strawberries sliced
- 1 pint Blueberries
- 1 pint blackberries
- 1 pint Raspberries
- 1 Orange zested
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 3/4 cup Butter softened
- 1-1/2 cups Sugar
- 3/4 tsp Salt
- 3/4 cup Milk
- 3 Eggs
- 5/6 cup all-purpose flour divided
- 1 cup plus 2 tbsp Cake flour
- 1-1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1-1/2 cups Sugar
- 1 cup Water
- 2 tbsp Lemon or orange juice
- Toss berries together with sugar and orange zest. Heat a sauté pan until hot, put berries in pan and quickly sauté for 2 minutes using a spatula to move the berries around. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 1–2 minutes more, remove from heat and cool.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sift together dry ingredients. In a separate mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, scraping down bowl. Add the flour mixture alternating with the milk.
- Pour into greased, parchment lined 9-inch round pan and bake for 50 minutes or until a tester comes out clean.
- Boil the sugar and water together in a saucepan for 1 minute. Remove from heat and add the fruit juice. Cool.
Plating the Dish:
- Cut cake into cubes. Line the bottom of a bowl or trifle dish with 1/3 of the cake cubes. Brush with the simple sugar and spoon 1/3 of the fruit over the cake cubes. Prepare two more layers the same as the first. There will be 3 layers. Chill overnight. Serve by scooping into a bowl and topping with crème fraiche or whipped cream.
You might also like:
In this holiday issue of Cape Cod Life I would like to share with you my column from the holidays…Read More
Above, the 2020 issue of Cape Cod LIFE June, known to readers as the Best Of issue. Digital: During these…Read More
HGTV’s 2019 Ultimate House Hunt highlights a few remarkable properties across the region, proving what locals and frequent visitors already…Read More