Grilled Salmon With Buttermilk Corn Pancakes, Crema, With Seasonal Greens And Cape Abilities Tomatoes
A delicious and easy-to-prepare summer dinner menu and recipes have been provided by The Red Pheasant in Dennis. The recipes are:
Grilled Salmon with Buttermilk Corn Pancakes, Crema, with Seasonal Greens and Cape Abilities Tomatoes.
Crab Cakes with Mustard-Dill Mayonnaise
Fresh Fruit Trifle
Servings: 8 servings
- 4 lb. Fresh salmon
- Salad greens for 1/2 of eight dinner plates
- 3 large Cape Abilities tomatoes sliced
- Light vinaigrette dressing
- 3-4 tbsp Buttermilk
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
Buttermilk Corn Cakes:
- 5 Ear of corn unhusked
- 1-1/4 cups Buttermilk
- 1 Egg
- 1 tbsp Butter melted
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup White cornmeal finely milled
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- 3 Scallions finely chopped
- Brush salmon with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill.
- Prepare sauce two days before you want to use it. Combine heavy cream and buttermilk in a saucepan and warm to 95°F. Place in a glass jar, top with lid and leave in a warm place for 24–36 hours to give the sauce a pleasant tang.
- To a blender add the buttermilk and cream with the chipotle pepper. Blend and then strain immediately. Adjust salt and pepper. Pour back into the glass jar and refrigerate for 24 hours to get to a yogurt-like consistency.
Buttermilk Corn Cakes:
- Soak the unhusked ears of corn in water for 10 minutes. Grill the corn with the husks for 10 minutes. Turning the corn to evenly cook. When cool, husk corn and shave the kernels from the cob. This should yield 3 cups of kernels.
- In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Puree in a blender, 2 cups of the corn kernels with the buttermilk and egg. Fold corn mixture into the dry ingredients. Fold in the reserved cup of corn kernels and scallions. Let rest for at least 20 minutes.
- Heat a skillet with clarified butter or canola oil on medium heat. Add 3–4 ounces of the batter for each corn cake. Think of these as pancakes as a guide for color.
- Cakes can be made just before serving and held in a warm 200°F oven covered with a damp towel.
- To serve, toss salad greens with dressing and cover ½ of dinner plate. Top the greens with the sliced tomatoes, grilled salmon and dollops of the Crema.
This recipe is from The Red Pheasant Inn at 905 Route 6A in Dennis and also appeared in the July 2013 issue of Cape Cod LIFE. Chicken or pork can be substituted for the salmon.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!