- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 cup Butter
- 2 cups Water
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Cloves
- 1 tsp Allspice
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Walnuts in large pieces
- 1 small bottle Maraschino Cherries drained
- 1 cup Raisins
- 1 pound Gumdrops chopped (omit black gumdrops)
- 2 Eggs beaten
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 4 cups Flour
- Boil the above ingredients for 5 minutes. Let cool.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour four 4" x 8" loaf pans.
- Combine the spice mixture with the walnuts, maraschino cherries, raisins, gumdrops and eggs. Mix well by hand. Add baking powder, baking soda and flour. Mix until blended.
- Bake for 35 - 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in bread comes out clean. (This can also be made in a greased tube pan and baked for 60- 70 minutes.
You might also like:
In this holiday issue of Cape Cod Life I would like to share with you my column from the holidays…Read More
Above, the 2020 issue of Cape Cod LIFE June, known to readers as the Best Of issue. Digital: During these…Read More
HGTV’s 2019 Ultimate House Hunt highlights a few remarkable properties across the region, proving what locals and frequent visitors already…Read More