- ¾ cup Sugar
- ¼ cup Shortening
- ½ cup Milk
- 2 cups Flour
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 2 cups Blueberries
- ½ cup Sugar
- 1/3 cup Flour
- ½ teaspoon Cinnamon
- ¼ cup cold butter cubed
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease and lightly flour 9-inch square pan.
- Wash and drain berries and set aside.
- In large bowl mix sugar, shortening (4 tablespoons soft butter can be substituted), and egg thoroughly.
- Stir in milk.
- In small bowl, sift flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Mix into large bowl with other ingredients. Blend in berries carefully.
- Spread mixture into prepared pan.
- To prepare topping, cube butter, then mix in other ingredients. To achieve desired consistency and taste, add a touch more sugar or flour while mixing. Dab, sprinkle, or spread (depending on consistency) over berry mixture.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. When cooled, cut into 3-inch squares.
This recipe is from “Out in Blue Fields” One patron of Hokum Rock Farm affectionately named this the “little black dress” recipe.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!