Servings: 3 loaves
- 1/2 cup Millet
- 1/2 cup Wheat bran
- 1/2 cup Cornmeal
- 1 cup Oats
- 2 cups Hot water
- 1/3 cup Honey
- 30.5 oz. Water lukewarm
- 1 tbsp active dry yeast
- 2 lbs. all-purpose flour (about 8 cups)
- 2 lbs. Whole wheat flour (about 7 cups)
- 6 tbsp Salt
- Combine the soaker ingredients and allow to cool. Combine the yeast mixture ingredients. Add the soaker and yeast mixture to the dry ingredients. Mix for about 5 minutes. Place ingredients in an oiled bowl and cover. Allow to rise for 1 hour. Turn the dough out and cut into 3 loaves.
- Shape each into boules (rounds) but you can also use bread pans if you like. (If you use bread pans, oil and dust with flour.) Allow to rise for 1 hour.
- Bake at 450° for 40 - 45 minutes until you tap on the bottom and bread sounds hollow.
This recipe is from the Orange Peel Bakery at 22 State Road in Aquinnah on Martha's Vineyard and also appeared in the 2011 September/October issue of Cape Cod LIFE.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!