- 24 Cherrystone clams
- 6 tbsp Butter
- 1 medium Potato diced
- 2 medium onions diced
- 4 tbsp Salt pork diced
- 1/4 cup Celery finely chopped
- 2 tbsp Red pepper diced
- 2 tbsp Parsley chopped
- 2 tbsp Flour
- 1/2 cup Heavy Cream
- Dash of cayenne pepper
- 1 ounce Brandy
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Pastry for 2-crust, 10-inch pie
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Shuck or steam open the clams and chop them coarsely, saving ½ cup of liquor.
- Melt 4 tablespoons of butter in a skillet and add the onions, celery and salt pork. Cook until the vegetables are soft and the pork is opaque white. Add the diced red pepper, potatoes, parsley and chopped quahogs and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Place in a bowl and set aside.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a skillet and stir in 2 tablespoons of flour. Add the clam liquor and stir until the mixture is smooth and slightly thickened. Stir in the brandy and then add the cream slowly, stirring until the mixture is smooth. Add the cayenne and black pepper, and salt if needed. Stir the clam mixture into this sauce and mix well.
- Line a 10” pie pan with pastry and pour the clam mixture into it. Cover with pastry top and seal the edges with a fork. Brush with milk and punch a few small holes in the top to allow steam to escape.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until the top is nicely browned.
You might also like:
In this holiday issue of Cape Cod Life I would like to share with you my column from the holidays…Read More
Above, the 2020 issue of Cape Cod LIFE June, known to readers as the Best Of issue. Digital: During these…Read More
HGTV’s 2019 Ultimate House Hunt highlights a few remarkable properties across the region, proving what locals and frequent visitors already…Read More