Red Onion Jam
- 2 pounds Red Onions peeled and chopped
- 1 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 cup Red Wine Vinegar
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Water plus more as needed
- 1/2 cup Red Wine
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 10 minutes. Add vinegar, sugar, and salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a low simmer and cook, stirring often, until the liquid has evaporated, about 20 minutes.
- Add the water and wine and continue cooking until the onions are very soft and beginning to fall apart, about 1 hour. Add more water, if necessary, to prevent onions from scorching while they cook down. Cool to room temperature before transferring to an airtight container and storing in the refrigerator for up to one month.
- Enjoy this great recipe as a spread for roast beef sandwiches, as a relish for roast pork, or spread over a wedge of warm Brie. Makes 2 cups.
You might also like:
In this holiday issue of Cape Cod Life I would like to share with you my column from the holidays…Read More
Above, the 2020 issue of Cape Cod LIFE June, known to readers as the Best Of issue. Digital: During these…Read More
HGTV’s 2019 Ultimate House Hunt highlights a few remarkable properties across the region, proving what locals and frequent visitors already…Read More